Case Studies of Congregational Reopening Plans
Fifth Meeting: August 31, 10am
Pastor, Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Delmar, NY
Connect by Phone:
+1 929 205 6099
842 6879 8427
The purpose of each of these 50-minute Zoom case studies is to hear in detail the reopening plans of a congregation and to evaluate and critique the plans. It is the intention that the presentation of the plans will be insightful for the listeners and that the evaluation and critique by the listeners will be insightful to the presenter. A different pastor will present on each Tuesday.
Tuesdays in August: August 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 from 10am - 10:50am
For whom: Pastors and other church Leaders of the Atlantic, New Jersey, and New England Districts
- August 3 - Neil Mittelstaedt, Pastor, St. James Lutheran Church, St. James NY (Recording Available Below)
- August 10 - Eric Sahlberg, Pastor, Mt Calvary Lutheran Church, Acton, MA (Recording Available Below)
- August 17 - John Young, Pastor, Our Savior Lutheran Church, Fishkill, NY
- August 24 - Matt Peeples, Pastor, Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Ridgewood, NJ
- August 31 - Mark Mueller, Pastor, Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Delmar, NY
Expectations of Presenter (25 minutes for presentation):
- Briefly describe your congregation and community.
- Briefly describe your general strategy during the time of the pandemic.
- In detail, describe your church’s plan to restart your various ministries and any new ministries. These ministries would include worship services, Sunday School, Adult Bible Class, Small Groups, outreach ministries to the community, music ministry, school and preschool, stewardship, fellowship, etc. Very importantly, what is your church doing to help those who have been away or have worshipped online to return to worship with the Body of Christ? The attendees want to get a full picture of your church and your next steps. We realize that this is a moving target as thing are constantly changing.
- Briefly, reflect on how things may be different than your pre-Covid congregation.
Expectation of Attendees (25 minutes for discussion):
- Listen carefully to the presenter.
- Take notes on areas of interest and on areas that may have a different experience or viewpoint.
- Be prepared to encourage what you see as positive and make suggestions on how you think that the reopening plans may be improved.
- Take action to help in the reopening process of your own church.
Format: Zoom meeting.
Sponsored by: Task Force 2 (Congregational Revitalization and Leadership Development) of the Atlantic District, The Rev. Dr. Victor Nelson, Chairman